DRUPAL 8 CONTENT TYPES OVERVIEW
Since Drupal is an application that gives you the opportunity to de create various websites with different purpose it is important to be able to add different kind of content to your new project. In most of the cases a functional and feature-rich platforms combine pages with different purpose, such as description, blogs, stores, contact forms, forums and any other.
The Drupal developers have gone the extra mile to implement the option to easily add and manage different content types on your platform. In this section of our tutorial we will cover the basic content types available in the application and explain their purpose.
Depending on the modules installed you will be provided with different content types by default. To access the menu from where you can add and manage them you should first go to your Drupal dashboard and navigate to Structure > Content types:
On the page where you will be redirected to you should be able to see the Content types which are already available in your application:
Let’s explain what they are used for:
- Article – this content type is enabled by default in Drupal 8 and it is used for posting a frequently updated information such as news and other information that is changed or added regularly.
- Basic page – it is mainly used for creating a page with a static content that is usually linked in the top navigation menu of the website.
- Blog entry – allows the registered user on your platform to post their own blogs. This content type has been removed from Drupal 8 by default but you can easily add it as a custom one.
- Book page – this content type gives you the opportunity to create documentation pages associated with a product, software or service you offer in the form of collaborative book.
- Forum topic – it is used for specifying a forum topic inside a forum discussion. The users reply to the topic using comments.
- Poll – gives the opportunity to perform a research on your online platform. It provides a question on a specific matter and a couple of possible answers which are predefined.
- Custom content type – having in mind that the application is distributed from developers to developers it gives you the ability to create your own content types, add the most appropriate headings for them – to recognize them easily and manage the fields available in each one.