GNU social hosting requirements – GNU social manual install
I. GNU social hosting environment requirements:
– MariaDB 5+ or MySQL 5.5+.
– Web server Apache, lighttpd and nginx will all work. CGI mode is
recommended and also some variant of ‘suexec’ (or a
proper setup php-fpm pool)
NOTE: mod_rewrite or its equivalent is extremely useful.
– PHP 5.5+ For newer versions, some functions that are used may be
disabled by default, such as the pcntl_* family. See the
section on ‘Queues and daemons’ for more information.
Your PHP installation must include the following PHP extensions for a
functional setup of GNU Social:
– openssl (compiled in for Debian, enabled manually in Arch Linux)
– php5-curl Fetching files by HTTP.
– php5-gd Image manipulation (scaling).
– php5-gmp For Salmon signatures (part of OStatus).
– php5-intl Internationalization support (transliteration et al).
– php5-json For WebFinger lookups and more.
– php5-mysqlnd The native driver for PHP5 MariaDB connections. If you use MySQL, ‘php5-mysql’ or ‘php5-mysqli’ may be enough.
II. GNU social manual installation steps
You can set up your Gnu social hosting the following simple steps:
• Create an empty MySQL database and create a user with full access to it.
You can create a MySQL database either from the MySQL Databases or MySQL Database Wizard cPanel feature.
The easiest way to create a database is through the MySQL Database Wizard icon which you should be able to find in the “Databases” section of your cPanel.
The process is pretty easy and straightforward:
• download the installation files from the official GNU Social site:
Once you download the file you can proceed to upload it in the public_html folder using cPanel’s File Manager tool.
Click on the Upload button to transfer your archive file to the host
Once we have successfully uploaded the package in the public_html folder, you can extract its content
You will now need to create the following folders on the account: avatar, background and file.
You will now need to proceed to your website where you will see the following screen:
Click on “Go to the installer.” and fill in all the requested fields on the following page:
You now have a brand new GNU social for your future website! You can bookmark or save the administrator URL for easy access.
Make sure you keep your Admin username and Admin password in a safe place as well!